We put careers in medicine, healthcare and related industries at the heart of what we do. We give all young people who come to Scott College a comprehensive, thorough and embedded careers programme. We do this by providing opportunities to be successful in gaining employment, university places and apprenticeships.
Scott Medical and Healthcare College offers high-quality careers education information advice and guidance, to support our aspirational and focused students.
The advice and guidance is developed throughout a student’s time at Scott College with the primary aim of making them highly attractive medical, healthcare, social care or other undergraduate students, employees or apprentices.
This is achieved by a programme of activities that span all year groups from 9 to 13 and engages with many external organisations to meet the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks for good Career Guidance . The external organisations will include our partners;
- University of Plymouth Faculty of Health; Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences
- University Hospital Plymouth NHS Trust
- Livewell South West
Careers information for Students
Our comprehensive Careers Programme shows how we evaluate our activities and events against the Gatsby benchmarks. The benchmarks are;
- A high quality careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
The Careers Lead at Scott College is our Deputy Headteacher. We have one further member of staff who is responsible for careers, work placements and outreach activities. This can take the form of Next Steps South West project (NSSW) part of the National Collaborative Outreach Programme to raise aspirations and awareness of Higher Education.
- Tim Cresswell – Deputy Headteacher and Careers Leader
- Louise Humpherson – Work Placement and Careers Coordinator
To talk to any of these staff please contact the main Reception on 01752 987010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Steps South West Coordinator - Kate Gannon
The Next Steps South West Programme - Navigating journeys to Higher Education:
- Next Steps South West is a National Outreach programme to support young people into Higher Education
- Organises, administers and coordinates activities and events for students in Years 9- 13 under the Next Steps contract
- Events are arranged to help remove barriers to Higher Education and help students make informed choices about routes into post -16 opportunities and career pathways
- Also includes access to travel cards, University visits, masterclasses and soft skills
- Contributing to the college's careers offer and Gatsby Benchmarks