Skip to content ↓

Scott Medical & Healthcare College

Exploring the opportunities in Hairdressing

Abbie McRoberts, from Cheynes Training, recently engaged with 25 of our enthusiastic students, both from SDCC and SMHC, shedding light on the vast opportunities within the evolving hairdressing industry.

Abbie talked about the industry's evolution, mentioning real-life examples such as a local celebrity hairdresser, Daisy Goord from Plymouth, whose massive social media following, brand ambassadorship, and international masterclasses showcase the diverse avenues available. From cruise ships to entrepreneurship and roles in various salon sizes, the industry offers a range of career paths for qualified individuals.

Abbie outlined diverse training routes, covering both full-time college education and apprenticeships. Apprentices allocate 80% of their time to practical work, with the remaining 20% to structured training sessions. College students balance traditional classroom learning with hands-on application, bridging the gap between theory and practice in real-world settings.

Furthermore, Abbie emphasised the significance of core subjects like Maths, English, and Science in hairdressing, especially concerning chemical handling and safety protocols - a vital aspect covered extensively during training.

During the session, students looked over the training manuals, exploring the different aspects of hairdressing covered in the curriculum. Additionally, they had the opportunity to examine peers' work, gaining insight into the practical application of their learning.

There was such an overwhelming interest in the session, that we will be inviting Cheynes Training back to speak with those students who were unable to attend the talk.